My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected to the new home page in 60 seconds. If not, please visit
http://gerrycanavan.com
and be sure to update your bookmarks. Sorry about the inconvenience.

Monday, February 04, 2008

What better topic for the thousandth post on this blog (and nearly 7000th post overall) than jwz's in-depth discussion of the number of times Bill Murray has to repeat the same day over and over again during the early-'90s cinematic classic Groundhog Day? The answer surprised me—like many people who haven't given that movie with the careful, dedicated study it deserves, I figured the cycle lasted for a few months at most. jwz's estimate is four years, and in an update to the post she cites director Harold Ramis's claim that the loop lasted ten years. And most interesting of all:

... though the original script had February 2 repeating for ten thousand years."
In this case I'll suspend my usual revulsion for remakes: I'd really like to see that version. I think it would be fascinating.