My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected to the new home page in 60 seconds. If not, please visit
http://gerrycanavan.com
and be sure to update your bookmarks. Sorry about the inconvenience.

Monday, May 05, 2008

I'm as burned out on the Democratic primary as I think the rest of you are, but still I find myself drawn to bloviation the subject.

* Barack Obama has won the crucial Tom Hanks vote.

* And Tom Friedman? I hate it when I find myself in agreement with that guy, but it looks like this time it's unavoidable:

Much nonsense has been written about how Hillary Clinton is “toughening up” Barack Obama so he’ll be tough enough to withstand Republican attacks. Sorry, we don’t need a president who is tough enough to withstand the lies of his opponents. We need a president who is tough enough to tell the truth to the American people. Any one of the candidates can answer the Red Phone at 3 a.m. in the White House bedroom. I’m voting for the one who can talk straight to the American people on national TV — at 8 p.m. — from the White House East Room.

Who will tell the people? We are not who we think we are. We are living on borrowed time and borrowed dimes. We still have all the potential for greatness, but only if we get back to work on our country.
I can answer this: No one is going to tell the people that, even if / especially because it's true.

* Ron Paul all-but-endorses Obama, says we'll see a President Obama in January. I was on this tip back in February: As someone whose friends are growing very tired of hearing about Barack Obama, I recognize something kindred in the fervor of Soutter and his fellow meetup members. There's something more than a little religious about both political movements, as if politics in 2008 has come to function as a surrogate font for inspiration, devotion and purpose in a post-religious age...

* And Carville gets in what may be the line of the primary: If Hillary Gave Obama "One Of Her Cojones, They'd Both Have Two." But wait! What's this? Obama bringing a little bit of fight at last?