* A mandatory evacuation has been ordered in New Orleans—and Gustav is looking very ugly.
* Somebody shut up Michael Moore. This guy, too.
* Apparently you can now arrest people for intent to protest. Good to know.
* Flowers for Algernon: The Blog. Via MeFi. See it now before the DMCA takedown.
* Steve Benen has a good roundup of shocked reactions to the Palin pick from both Alaskans and Republicans. (Apparently Romney and Pawlenty are not happy either.) Or take this from an off-the-record Bushite:
If it said something admirable about President Bush that he chose a running mate who would be more helpful in governing than in campaigning, what does it say about Senator McCain that he did the opposite? One of the most loyal Bushies calls the selection “disrespectful to the office of the presidency.”And this, from the Politico:
Whatever you think of the pick, here are six things it tells us about McCain:
1. He’s desperate.
2. He’s willing to gamble — bigtime.
3. He’s worried about the political implications of his age.
4. He’s not worried about the actuarial implications of his age.
5. He’s worried about his conservative base.
6. At the end of the day, McCain is still McCain.