My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected to the new home page in 60 seconds. If not, please visit
http://gerrycanavan.com
and be sure to update your bookmarks. Sorry about the inconvenience.

Monday, October 13, 2008

Lit links.

* Emily Dickinson: sexpot.

* On James Baldwin and Barack Obama. Until now I'd thought that Bill Ayers had secretly ghostwritten Obama's memoir, but I see now that it was probably James Baldwin.

* TV show as megamovie. Via Kottke.

* Reinterpreting Red Dawn.

Red Dawn is not an exact parallel to our situation, of course. The Iraq we invaded was no functioning democracy; our Army does not execute civilians; many Iraqis favor the American occupation. But Red Dawn certainly didn't stir the mad, patriotic fervor I felt when I heard Howell shout, "Wolverines" 24 years ago. MGM is so far tight-lipped about the plot of its Red Dawn remake, but I wonder: Will the new Wolverines be us—or fighting us?
* And Toothpaste for Dinner has obviously never taken one of my classes.