My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected to the new home page in 60 seconds. If not, please visit
http://gerrycanavan.com
and be sure to update your bookmarks. Sorry about the inconvenience.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

How McCartney wrote 'Paperback Writer.'

By the time McCartney arrived in Weybridge he had the song's structure in his head. McCartney: “I told John I had this idea of trying to write off to a publishers to become a paperback writer, and I said I think it should be written like a letter. I took a bit of paper out and I said it should be something like ‘Dear Sir or Madam, as the case may be...' and I proceeded to write it just like a letter in front of him, occasionally rhyming it. And John, as I recall, just sat there and said: ‘Oh that's it', ‘Uhuh', ‘Yeah'. I remember him, his amused smile, saying ‘Yes, that's it, yes.' You know, if it ain't broke don't fix it. ‘That'll do'. Quite a nice moment. ‘Hmm, I've done right! I've done well!' And then we went upstairs and put the melody to it.