My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected to the new home page in 60 seconds. If not, please visit
and be sure to update your bookmarks. Sorry about the inconvenience.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Absolutely the greatest McSweeney's posting of all time: "What We Talk About When We Talk About Mad-Cow Disease."

Dan, Cheryl, and Clare were all vegetarians once but not anymore. We were having a barbecue. Dan and I were standing by the grill while Cheryl and my wife, Clare, were up on the patio, talking.

"The only thing that makes me sad about veal is when it's overcooked," I said. I was trying hard to be funny.

Dan chuckled, though I didn't believe him. "This isn't veal you're grilling," he said. "Tell me it isn't."

I didn't answer but went on: "Those poor baby cows suffered. On a certain level, it's the moral responsibility of the cook to make sure they're delicious. That's why overcooking veal is such a crime."

"I guess I can see that," said Dan. I was half certain he was fucking my wife. We were all alcoholics.