All is quiet on New Year's Day.
* As the Bush administration blessedly draws to a close, it's important to remember the casualties of the War of Terror, people like Alberto Gonzales. (via)
* More people get their news from the Internet than from newspapers. More importantly:
The percentage of people younger than 30 citing television as a main news source has declined from 68% in September 2007 to 59% currently.That's good, good news.
* Howard Dean, Vermonter of the Year. Maybe next year, Ben and Jerry.
* Batman casting rumors you can believe in: Philip Seymour Hoffman as the Penguin.
* It's the future, and Microsoft still sucks.
* Top 10 space stories of 2008. A different 10.
* Top 10 cryptozoology stories of 2008.
* James Howard Kunstler's predictions for 2009. Prediction: Pain. Via MetaFilter.
* Thank god for philosophy grad students, the only graduate demographic upon Lit students can look down.